To construct your Personal Universe Lexicon, start with a new post. You may wish to construct the list with pen and paper first and transfer it to your blog later. Begin by following these instructions:
Write down as many words as you can then sort the words into the categories outlined below. Complete each category. Write as quickly as you can.
- 16 words of each of the five senses (16 x 5 = 80 words). The words must mean, suggest: taste touch, sight, smell, and hearing. For instance, desiccated or frozen might suggest touch to you, or birdsong hearing.
- 10 words of motion. The words must mean, suggest motion to you. They do not necessarily need to be verbs. Baby could be a motion word for someone, for example.
- 3 abstractions. Such as love or freedom or truth.
- 7 anything else. Any word with meaning to you that does not fit into the other categories.
All the words on the list must
- have significance to/for you
- be specific; that is the word must not be “bird” but “robin,” not “tree” but “aspen.”
- sound good to the ear.
Use no adverbs. Use no plurals.
Keep track of the words with your blog. Move them around each other in the list every day for a week. Choose one word at random from the list; write what the word(s) sparks, what the juxtaposition of words builds for you.
Trackback/pinkback your list to this post.
Write a page(not a post). Title it Sitemap.
You’ll find the code here that you’ll need to paste into your page.
Enter Sitemap as the Page Slug.
Disable Comments and Pings.
Go to Dashboard–>Options–>DDSitemapGen.
Enter the same Slug, update.
Add the link to the sitemap via your theme’s menu or sidebar or add a Pages widget.
Create a moebius strip of the title of this post followed by “In The Word But Then The Meaning Is”
Write about your own hobby. Research the origin of the term Hobby at Wikipedia.
Look at wikipedia’s entry for Model Railroads. What do you think?
Refresh your memory about Erik Erikson’s “Stages of Psychosocial Developlment.”
Your task is to complete Writing Activity 1 from my canpoets blog.
Just following those instructions will not be enough, however.
Your assignment will not be complete until a “trackback” or “pingback” appears in the comment section on my Writing Activity 1 post.
I’ll have a bag of cookies on standby. Cookie of choice to STJ blogger(s) who completes a pingback trackback of the Canadian outback.
What happened to the animals in BNW?
- Suggest a brief history of “pets” up to AF632.
- What attitudes do people have towards animals?
- Why are there no “conditioned” animals as pets?
- What are the attitudes towards animals on the reservation?
Consider our society. Are pets necessary? Why?
Oh and I have a searchable BNW etext with a growing blogroll here.
PS. What is lupus? Who, in BNW, has it? Why?
Are any of Huxley’s machines “smart”? Does Huxley’s future have any need for computation? Why, why not?
Consider Huxley, what would be a “predicted future event believed to precede immense technological progress in an unprecedentedly brief time”?(Look at a the real world goal of Zyvex)
Is Asimov enough?
What would Young Macduff give as a cheeky response to the “rise of the machines”?
A quick search at wikipedia can help you find out.
Hint: The Hayflick limit.